The dual degrees are subject to the following stipulations:
1. The requirements for both degrees must be satisfied to complete the dual degree.
2. The program description for the Tsinghua University Master of Journalism and Communication is online at
3. The general requirements for the MS in Communication Data Science (MS CMDS) in this dual degree program are the same as those for the USC general MS Communication Data Science except that at least 24 units (of the 32 required units) must be completed at USC, and up to 8 units of preapproved course work transferred from Tsinghua University may be counted toward the degree requirements at USC. This is due to a special partnership established by a Memorandum of Understanding between the two Universities.
4. Other requirements for the MS CMDS are the same as set forth in the general requirements for Viterbi School of Engineering Master of Science degrees.
5. Students who elect to receive only the USC degree must change their degree objective from the THU-USC dual degree to the general USC MS CMDS.
6. Generally, students must take at USC the "Foundation" courses of the USC MS CMDS. There must be justification for the omission of a required course in either degree; for example, a certain course in one degree may provide comparable content to the omitted course in the other degree.
7. The USC Data Science Program and the Annenberg School of Communication have identified a list of transferable THU courses that can be considered USC equivalents but are also willing to entertain transfer, on a case by case basis, of unique relevant THU courses for which no obvious mapping to a USC course exists.