The Global Business Journalism program at Tsinghua University is an elite master’s degree program featuring outstanding journalism students from China and around the world. GBJ, a partnership between Tsinghua University, the International Center for Journalists, and Bloomberg News, is the most prestigious English-language business journalism program on the Chinese mainland.
The program benefits from a unique set of resources, including the Bloomberg Lab, which contains the largest collection of donated Bloomberg terminals of any university in the world. The new Tsinghua Future Media Lab is a state-of-the-art multimedia center available to GBJ students. Other academic resources enrich the program, including Tsinghua’s prestigious School of Economics and Management and the Schwarzman College.
Another unique feature of the two-year program is its diversity, both among students and faculty. Master’s degree candidates from more than 65 countries have studied in the program since its creation in 2007, providing a rich multicultural experience. The faculty is a mix of veteran international journalists with decades of practical experience and brilliant Chinese scholars famous for both their research projects and their classroom skills. All GBJ courses are taught in English, although fluent Mandarin speakers are welcome to sample Chinese-language courses at the university, as well.
Global Business Journalism’s top-notch, innovative curriculum prepares is students to understand the ever-changing demands of the business world and global economics. The program teaches its participants how the cover the intricacies of finance, business, and trade. With China playing a central role in the interdependent global economy, the program teaches students how to skillfully cover China’s economy and rapidly changing global developments. The program offers an array of specialized courses including data mining, corporate strategies, international accounting standards, multimedia journalism, New Media practice, advanced news writing, ethics, and documentary filmmaking production. The program also helps students apply for internship opportunities at major media organizations.
The Global Business Journalism program has launched the careers of successful journalists in Asia, Africa, Europe and the Americas. Graduates of the program are working at major media organizations such as Bloomberg News, CNBC, the South China Morning Post, CCTV and Xinhua News Agency. Others are working for tech start-ups, New Media enterprises or have landed communications positions at companies such as Ogilvy China and Bank of America.
All GBJ students must be fluent in English and capable of writing news stories and an academic thesis in English. With small class sizes and an attentive faculty, students receive coaching to improve their writing and research skills. No other journalism program in the world can match Global Business Journalism’s combination of assets.
Business journalism is one of the fastest growing sources of employment opportunities in the industry today. News audiences are eager to learn about the world of business, while media offices expect PR professionals to understand and analyze the complexities of business issues. With China playing a central role in the global economy, there is a soaring demand for trained professionals who can understand the exciting, complicated development of the world’s fastest-growing economy – and can explain it – clearly and in depth -- to audiences in China and around the world.
Tsinghua’s Master of Global Business Journalism Program is designed to offer you the opportunity to meet these growing needs and, at the same time, master the fine points of economics, finance and business in China and the world. We welcome you to join us!
- Setting the standard. Launched in 2007, GBJ has been recognized by students and recruiters alike as a world-class program. The program maintains high international standards for business journalism education, and its innovative curriculum meets the ever-changing demands of both the business world and technological advancements.
- A diverse group of students. The student body is culturally and professionally diverse, reflecting strong global interest and a highly selective admissions process. In its first ten years, GBJ has educated more than 200 international graduates from more than 60 countries.
- Valuable learning experiences. The full-time program spans two years of intense, fast-paced, rewarding study. Those who complete it successfully emerge with valuable connections, a rich array of opportunities and the business and journalism skills to capitalize on them. It is a two-year experience that will last a lifetime.
- Specialized courses. GBJ offers an array of specialized courses that are at the forefront of global business journalism. Students can learn about international accounting standards, multimedia journalism, data mining, complex financial derivatives, journalism ethics, advanced feature writing techniques and the management of media organizations – knowledge that is transferable to other economies and other professions. At the same time, they gain a deeper knowledge of the Chinese language and economy.
- International faculty. All GBJ courses are taught in English by internationally renowned scholars and accomplished journalists with extensive global experience.
- Digital facilities. The program’s facilities rival those of other leading journalism schools worldwide. The news lab has the largest number of Bloomberg terminals donated to any university in the world.
- Program partners. Tsinghua University has teamed up with the U.S.-based International Center for Journalists (ICFJ) to build GBJ. Other partners include Bloomberg News, Bank of America and the Knight Foundation. Visiting scholars have worked at prominent global media and financial-information companies such as Bloomberg, Reuters, The Wall Street Journal, Business Week, The New York Times, The Financial Times, CNN and The Washington Post.
- Unique resources. The GBJ program benefits from other academic resources on the Tsinghua campus, including its prestigious School of Economics and Management and the Schwarzman College, as well as many Chinese and global media and technology companies in Beijing. Internships, field trips and recruiter visits are integral parts of the program.
- Job Opportunities and Networking. Graduates of the program are working in a number of major media organizations such as Bloomberg, Reuters, CCTV and Xinhua News Agency. Others have landed communications positions at companies such as Ogilvy China and Bank of America, as well as technology and financial companies, Chinese government ministries and international organizations.
GBJ students have opportunities to attend conferences on new media, economic development and other business topics. They benefit from meetings and discussions with guest speakers, including top editors and reporters from leading Chinese and Western news outlets and international business executives. The GBJ has developed a growing network of smart, sophisticated reporters, editors and public relations professionals who can enhance the world’s understanding of economic and corporate developments in China and globally.
For more information: http://gbj.tsjc.tsinghua.edu.cn/